You are here
Venues North – Edinburgh Festival Fringe Award
Northern artists are invited to enter the new Venues North Edinburgh Festival Fringe Award - with a £3,500 cash prize.
Venues North is excited to announce this inaugural award to celebrate new theatre and performance work made in the North of England.
The Venues North award will provide one company performing at the festival with a £3,500 prize and a tailored package of support in kind provided by member venues.
Venues North is a network of more than 40 venues based in the North of England who share a commitment to supporting artists making new work. Our aim is to work together as venues to get work made in the North seen more widely regionally, nationally and internationally.
We define ‘new work’ as new theatre and performance, usually devised work or new writing, or work that explores the boundaries of theatrical form.
To be eligible for the awards, the core artists must:
· be living and making work in the North of England, as defined by Arts Council England area boundaries
· have a production running at Edinburgh Fringe 2019 between 2-16 August for a minimum of 10 performances
Companies that are part of Arts Council England’s National Portfolio are not eligible to enter.
Venues North will select one award recipient, who will receive:
· £3,500 cash
· A tailored package of support in kind, which can include support to tour the show in the North of England, based around the needs of the artist
· Fundraising advice, guidance and advocacy from the Venues North network
The Venues North judges are looking for work that:
• Meets the definition of ‘new work’ detailed above
• Is ambitious, exciting and relevant to audiences
• Has a distinctive voice that reflects the people that made the work
• Responds to the world around us, and provides opportunities for new thoughts and conversations
• Has carefully considered the experience it offers audiences
• Makes a contribution to the work already available to programmers and audiences
Artists and companies are invited to submit an award entry, either using the form below or in an alternative format, by 10am on Mon 24 June.
A large group of Venues North members will review the entries and draw up a shortlist, which will be published on Fri 12 July. A smaller panel, made up of Venues North members, will then see the shortlisted shows at the Festival between 2-16 August, before convening at a selection meeting to select the recipient. The award will be announced on Sat 17 Aug.
How to enter
Entries may be submitted in alternative formats but will need to include the information requested on the entry form. If you need the entry form in a different format, please let us know (01642 665405 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).