You are here
A support in kind package for mid-career companies making ambitious new theatre
In 2016, ARC Stockton, The Bike Shed Theatre in Exeter and Derby Theatre combined forces to offer a comprehensive package of in kind resources to support a ‘mid-career’ artist or company to develop a brand new piece of theatre for small-scale spaces, that is ambitious in size and content.
By ‘mid-career’ we mean an artist or company with more than five years experience of making work professionally, who has staged and toured a number of productions.
By new work, we mean new theatre and performance, usually devised work or new writing, or work that explores the boundaries of theatrical form.
Transit offers a package of in kind resources:
- Five weeks rehearsal space – approx two weeks in each venue (Aug/Sept)
- Opportunities to perform the work in each venue (Sept)
- Regular contact with venue representatives to offer advice/support/mentoring throughout the creative process.
- Marketing support – extensive advice and support available to develop a professional marketing pack, to assist with selling work to other venues and to audiences.
- Audience development – support to develop creative learning and other audience development activity associated with the show, including opportunities to meet other local artists.
- Technical support –a technician for the get in/performance days and advice on drawing up technical specifications for the show.
- Box Office – full box office services available at all three venues to manage ticket sales and audience data collection.
- Advocacy and PR –all three venues act as ambassadors for the work, both in the lead up to the performances, and post-performance in terms of recommendations to potential touring venues etc.
- The opportunity was open to any UK based artist or company, who has more than five years experience of making and touring work, and we were particularly interested in applications from disabled artists, older artists or artists returning to work after a career break.
Following an open call, shortlisting and interview process, Jack Dean was selected as our 2016 Transit artist, to develop his show for adults, Nuketown.
For more information about the scheme please email firstname.lastname@example.org