Call Out For Applications
Commission opportunity: A new performance for young audiences aged 3-7
About the venues:
The Civic is a small to mid-scale arts centre located in the Centre of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. They programme a varied and dynamic cross section of visual and performance art that includes theatre, dance comedy, music, community arts, fine art exhibitions and a dedicated programme of professional children’s theatre.
The Civic’s vision is to provide extra-ordinary art and experiences to the people of Barnsley, Yorkshire and surrounding region. They aim to raise aspirations, challenge perceptions and inspire pride in their community.
The venue is passionate about programming high quality, dynamic and engaging work for families and young people, they predominantly programme work for 3 – 8 year olds but are keen to explore work that attracts and engages with older children. The Civic work with and programme companies that both adapt classic or known text and with those that produce new writing and devised work. Their family programme consists of fortnightly Sunday afternoon performances, an extended family show for Christmas that is an alternative offer to the traditional pantomime, and periodic longer runs that tie in with school terms and half terms.
For more information about the venue, visit the Barnsley Civic website.
ARC is committed to supporting and improving the amount and quality of artistic work being made in the North and is the artist development hub for the North East region. We deliver a comprehensive programme of artist development, primarily aimed at drama, dance and spoken word artists.
ARC’s artistic policy is to present work that is contemporary and relevant. By that, we mean we want to show work that helps us understand and enjoy the world as it is today. We want to look forward, to excite you about the future.
ARC’s family programme is mainly focussed on work for under 7s, although we are expanding our programme to include some work for 8 – 12 year olds. As well as extended runs of live shows for ages 3+ at Christmas and Easter, we present theatre, dance and puppetry performances on Saturdays approximately once a month.
What we are looking for:
• The creation of a new piece of work for 3-7 year olds to be presented at the Civic and ARC in spring half term 2016 (w/c 8 Feb in Barnsley and w/c 15 Feb In Stockton)
• The work is to be presented in the Civic Assembly Room, the ARC Theatre (or Studio)
• We will be looking for a finished show to premiere at the Civic before moving on to ARC
• We are seeking companies that have experience making work for audiences aged 3 – 7
We are happy to consider proposals based around new stories or adaptations of existing ones. However, the show will be presented at the commissioning venues during half term, when we look to draw in audiences who may be seeking a more familiar offer, so please consider this when identifying the selling points for your proposed show.
What we can offer:
• £3,500 commission
• 2 weeks R&D space at ARC and the Civic in Summer 2015
• 2 weeks development space at ARC in Jan 2016
• 1 week development space at the Civic in Jan 2016
• 1 week tech time at the Civic w/c 8 Feb 2016.
• Premiere performances at the Civic Sat 13 and Sun 14 Feb 2016
• Transfer to ARC w/c 15 Feb with performances Fri19 and Sat 20 Feb 2016
• 70/30 box office split on ticket sales
• Mentorship and advocacy from Ian Morley, Theatre Programmer, The Civic and Annabel Turpin, Chief Executive, ARC
• Opportunities to invite test audiences in during the development of the work
• Deadline for expressions of interest: 1pm, Mon 13 Apr 2015
• Shortlisted candidates will be informed by Fri 17 Apr 2015
• Interviews Fri 1 May 2015, The Civic, Barnsley
How to apply:
Artists are required to submit the following by 1pm on Mon 13 Apr 2015.
• Appropriate contact details (If you are applying as a collective/company of artists please specify a main contact person)
• A biography detailing who you are, your background, professional experience and description of the creative team.
• An artistic description contextualising the show you will develop for this commission.
• A rationale for how this programme will benefit you and why it is important to your artistic development
• If available, clips or links to examples of your previous work/work-in-progress
• An outline production budget, including performances of the show at The Civic and ARC, showing income and expenditure
We anticipate that the commission and in kind support may be used as seed funding for further grant support for the development of the work. If you are including unconfirmed funding in your budget, please provide details of your past fundraising record.
Proposals should be no more than 3 sides of A4 and emailed to: [email protected]
We are committed to ensuring that this opportunity is open and accessible to everyone. If you experience or anticipate any barriers within the application process, or require any help to make an application, please contact us.